Friday, July 4, 2014

That extra speed - 1 mile dash!

What is the right balance between wasting time, wanting to work out, being lazy, being negative and wanting to be positive?  Run.  Run that one mile.   10 minutes or less.   Give it all.   Tie your shoelace, down the stairs, set your GPS, and ran with all you have.   Let the lungs burst, the nostrils flare, the mind scream, the legs pound the concrete.  And still that would not be my best - there is a Roger Banister who is calling and probably calling forever.

I invented this 1 mile dash keeping the few factors that I had listed in mind.  But it is a place to scream, punish and take everything out of your system at the start of the day.  1 km run would have been good, but 1 mile is just long enough to make you better.

I ran a 8 and quarter minute mile today, so far the best, but I know it is not my best.  Wiki  says that the best is as this -  Hicham El Guerrouj is the current men's record holder with his time of 3:43.13, while Svetlana Masterkova has the women's record of 4:12.56.  

My inspiration here is Roger Banister, the first man to run the one mile under 4 minutes. I am not running for the world record, but to shake a hand with Roger, an imaginary one at that.  


And just today, as I met with one friend who wanted to get back to running, it was back to those days where I used to talk endlessly.  Some of my earlier blog will be testimony to this blah, blahs!

And then I come back and squeeze this video in to watch.  And that is another inspiration.  

The idea of running the 1 mile dash to increase the pace when needed during the long runs.  This cannot be done without strength training, good hydration and proper stamina building, especially when running a long race like half or full marathon.

I will keep you posted on this through my workout schedules.   I am planning to add strength training to this.  Look for more. Now I got to go to the track. We will catch up shortly!

- A Road runner

No comments:

Post a Comment